Sunday, July 23, 2006

Hart, J.V. Capt. Hook.

Hart, J.V. Capt. Hook. HarperCollins, 2005 [0-06-000220-4]
James, the Illegitimate son of a member of Parliament, is enrolled in Eton much to the anger of all the royal children there. He is a loner and has a pet spider. One upper class-man is out to get James. This early part of the book has the feel of Harry Potter and Hogwarts. Unfortunately James and an Ottoman Sultana fall in love much to the anger of the Queen of England. He dreams of a place called Neverland. When the Sultana is shipped away from England James and his friend stowaway on the ship. Then this book becomes a sailing story. Life on the ship is harsh and especially evil near the end when James, dubbed Capt. James leads a mutiny on the ship and ends up being voted captain of the ship after he kills the captain of the ship with a hook. While I think this 337 is a complete book, it does leave the possibility for another one. Please not that his book is not a cutsey Peter Pan book. It contains, duels, death, murder, slavery, harsh life on a ship so I would not recommend it to elementary students. This is the author's first book but he has written screen plays one of which was "Hook." The illustrations are done by Brett Helquist of Lemony Snicket fame.

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

thanks for the good words and astute comments. the paperback is just out with the previously unpublished epilogue and additional materials which sets up the sequel I am currently writing; Capt. Hook - Pirate King. thank you for supporting these efforts. the library was my fav place in my school days. that is probably why I made it Hook's fortress and sanctuary in this ongoing
adventure.

to good form - j.v.hart
j.v.hart@att.net

8:40 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

thank you for your good words and astute comments. the book is just out in paperback and includes the unpublished epilogue plus additional materials which set up the sequel I am currently writing; Capt. Hook - Pirate King. The library was my fav place in my school days. That is probably why I made the library James Hook's fortress and sanctuary. Here is to good form.

JV Hart
j.v.hart@att.net

8:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr.Hart I loved the book. Until now I had never wonderd about Hook. I can not wait for the next one. James to me was like a good guy and a cool bad one combined.
To good form!
Jesse

8:21 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

thank you. i am in the middle of the sequel now. CAPT. HOOK - PIRATE KING

you can get a taste with the extras in the paperback.

to be continued

JVha=Hart

12:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, so I LOVE your book, and my sister makes fun of me because I'm literally obsessed with it.
But, J.V., your my inspiration. I want to be a writer one day, and your book, totally got me into pirates! So thanks for that!! I can't wait for the sequel!

knowledge is power !!! :)

6:44 PM  
Blogger Alyniece said...

To think that you, JV Heart are acctually posting on this same website is in a word, fantastical. I myself wish to someday dip into the field of writing and all that comes therein. I found your book enthralling and absolutely interesting. I always wanted to know what happened to Captain Hook when I was younger, and now I know one thing that could have happened, one spectacular Duel to not fit in, to be better, to be King Jas. I'm in high school, and even now I have dubbed your book my favorite and found James's methods macabre, but utterly inspiring. Its an amazing feat you have acceived by writting such a lovely death to those thoughts of Captain Hook as purely evil. Thank you for bringing these words orders into the world for all of us to try and understand.
-Alyniece

9:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home