Thursday, June 29, 2006

Rosoff, Meg. How I live now.

Rosoff, Meg. How I live now. Wendy Lamb Books/Random House, 2004 [0-385-74677-6]
This is a powerful book and I am not sure how I feel about it. Fifteen-year-old Daisy travels to England to visit her cousins. Right after she arrives, the Aunt leaves to give a lecture in Oslo, leaving the children along. While she is gone war (some fictional war) breaks out and they children are left to survive and live in their own morality. Daisy's interest in her cousin, Edmond breaks into true love. While nothing is descriptive about this incestial affair, it is VERY evident. They children are separated during the war and see the gruesome atrocities which happen in such a situation. After a period of time Daisy gets back to the US and after several years, returns to see Edmond. The style of writing draws the reading right into the story but there are long run-on sentences and there are no quotation marks when people speak within a sentence. It is a difficult read. This 194 page book is only for your mature and good readers. Because of the incest, I have decided to send it to our HS. I find it interesting that very few of the reviews mention the incest at all. I think that is irresponsible. Even if you don't purchase book, you should read it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home